How We've Adapted For COVID-19 Read More.

1875

After marching west from Manitoba, 150 members of the North West Mounted Police begin construction of Fort Calgary. Known as the RCMP today, this group came to establish Canadian law and order, and lay the groundwork for larger settlements.

The North West Mounted Police

1894

Calgary is officially incorporated.

1911

The land where Currie will eventually stand is designated to the Canadian Armed Forces as training grounds leading up to the First World War.

Uniformed Soldiers March in The Parade Square

1933

The Government of Canada designates $1.6 million (over 2 years) to build a military base in Calgary as part of the Public Works Construction Act to alleviate the effects of the Great Depression. The Currie Barracks, named for the renowned General Sir Arthur William Currie, becomes home to the largest establishment of the Canadian military in Alberta to date.

1939

The Royal Canadian Infantry Corps, the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, and the Royal Canadian Air Force conducts training in Currie throughout the Second World War. During the war, an airstrip is constructed which paves the way for two British Commonwealth Air Training Plan stations on the base.

Sir Arthur William Currie

1946

Currie Barracks becomes home to Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) and 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry. In order to bolster Canada’s military presence in the west, Currie Barracks is dramatically transformed into a major military centre.

The population of Calgary exceeds 100,000.

1964

The airstrips were officially closed and one airstrip was used as a vehicle dragstrip until the early 1980s. The remaining property was sold to the ATCO company, the City of Calgary and Mount Royal College.

Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians)

1966

The formation of the Canadian Armed Forces (bringing together the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force) results in the Currie Barracks becoming known as Canadian Forces Base Calgary (CFB Calgary) – although many people continue to refer to the base as Currie Barracks.

1971

Bishop Carroll High School enrols its first students, located adjacent to Currie Barracks.

Royal Canadian Air Force

1972

Mount Royal College (now Mount Royal University) establishes a new permanent campus next to Currie Barracks. First opening their doors in 1910, Mount Royal needed to expand their facilities to meet growing demand for educational pursuits.

1978

After enormous population growth in Calgary, the need for expanded roadways is acted on – Crowchild Trail grows to six lanes to flow traffic from Nose Hill Dr. NW to Glenmore Tr. SW.

1979

Banbury Crossroads School welcomes their first students, eventually relocating to the area surrounding Currie Barracks.

Mount Royal College

1990

Queen Elizabeth II visits CFB Calgary for a celebration on Parade Square and is presented to each officer in the Officers’ Mess Garden. This is her last visit to the base.

1998

Forces stationed at CFB Calgary begin moving to the Canadian Forces Base Edmonton. CFB Calgary is officially decommissioned and Canada Lands Company purchases the land and buildings for future development.

Entrance to The Parade Square

2001

After extensive community consultation, the CFB West Master Plan is approved for Garrison Woods, envisioning a vibrant urban community where future residents will live, learn, work and play. This marked the first development project for Canada Lands Company, followed by the development of Garrison Green.

2007

The Currie Barracks Community Plan is approved and land use is confirmed for the third and final development of the original CFB Calgary.

The Commons Rendering

2010

Construction begins on the first single-family homes and the community of Currie Barracks officially launches to the public.

2016

After a progressive new plan for the community is approved by the City of Calgary, Currie Barracks becomes simply, Currie.

Tommy Prince Road SW in Currie